Thank you for joining us on March 16th at PubNub in San Francisco - we had a great time, hope you did too! Here's a quick recap:
- Maksim Izmaylov, Founder of Winding Tree, gave us all a summary of APIs and their usage in the travel tech space as well as discussing his company's open/distributed API model in travel.
- Ian McHenry, CEO & Co-Founder of Beyond Pricing, blew us away with his enthusiasm with APIs and his extensive knowledge in the field. He spoke about integrating into travel providers core systems (property management systems, central reservation systems, etc), challenges and opportunities
- Sergei Burkov, Founder and CEO of Alterra.ai, discussed his API model for his Deep Learning / NLP startup. We were lucky to hear the news first that Alterra's launched a new API, very exciting stuff Sergei!
- Travel Tech Con team announced upcoming events including the upcoming Pitch Competition dates (will be released this week, stay tuned) and reminded everyone that there are only a few Workshops spots left for Travel Tech Con 2017! Register for Travel Tech Con here:
It was really a special night, with great space and company - see you next month at the preliminary rounds of Pitch Competitions!
January 2017 - WeWork Transbay
Thank you for joining us for our first ever collaborative event on Jan 31st at WeWork Transbay! It was one of our biggest turnouts so far, and was great to meet so many people doing amazing things in the travel space! We had a great time and hope you all did too! Here's a quick recap:
The live-stream you can watch here!
The night started off with Travel Massive - Community for Travel Industry professionals. They presented us with three interesting talks from Mike Geddes (The Third Half Soccer), Melissa Chiella (Evergreen Escapes) and Tin Sae Koo (Tint).
Next up was our community where we invited three startups in the TTC community to share their groundbreaking projects to the wider community. Before the talks Marina announced our upcoming event next month on VR in Travel as well as our Calendar of Events. Thanks to Michal Wroczynski (Fido.ai), Chris Fultion (BlueSmart) and Han Jin (LucidCam) for bringing diversity, creativity and inspiration - great job guys!
Following TCC was NomadPass - Community for Digital Nomads. They shared with us talks from Estella Kun (Inspiral Studio) and Daniel Feeney (Buffer).
Ending the night was Travel Hackers - Community for Travel Hacking Enthusiasts. In true ignite style they presented insightful and sisynced from Craig Thomas (Travel with Craig), Dawn (Travel Hackers) and Daniel Tahara.
So yep, this Meetup was a big one! We left with great takeaways from the speakers as well as chatting the attendees. See you next month at Upload VR for our Meetup on VR in Travel!
December 2016 - Travana
Thank you for joining us on December 8th at Travana in San Francisco - we had a great time, hope you did too! Here's a quick recap:
- Travana provided us with an amazing spread of food and drinks (thank you again!)
- Sergei Burkov, Founder and CEO of Alterra.ai, a Deep Learning / NLP startup, building bots for online travel spoke about virtual travel agents powered by artificial neural networks. Sergei described the rise of bots and what it means for the travel space, and where the opportunities are. He talked about how Deep Learning is utilized for building smart conversational bots and compared them with less intelligent bots that rely on on-screen buttons.
- Stephen Grabowski, Product Manager with Skyscanner who is currently advising teams working on chatbots and conversations products spoke about Skyscanner's experience building a booking chatbot for flights, what works and what doesn't.
- Michal Wroczynski, CEO and co-founder of Fido AI spoke about how bots are the ultimate solution for solving the paradox of choice in hospitality and travel? He opened up the questioned of whether AI would change the way users learn directly from reviews.
- Travel Tech Con team announced upcoming events including the first Ignite Travel event where four SF/Bay Area travel communities come together as well as the February Travel Tech Meetup based on VR in Travel, with our friends at Non-Gaming VR. TTC also announced the exciting Travel Tech Con 2017 that will be held at Treasure Island in May 2017! More information released soon!
- Here are the startups that got to do 3min mini pitches on stage - Hitlist, Quest City, Villo & Gnomad Travel
It was really a special night, with great space and company - see you next month at the Ignite Travel event!
November 2016 - Plug & Play Tech Center
What a great night it was at The Plug and Play Center on November 4th! We left with great takeaways about the travel tech funding space, and hope you did too! Here's a quick recap:
- Our panel host for the night was Sylwia Gorajek, founder of Valley Talks, went far and beyond in probing our panelists with the questions we all were thinking .
- We were lucky to have Rom Hendler call in to share his insights from extensive experience in the travel tech industry. Formerly CAO at Las Vegas Sands Corp and currently Managing Partner at InnoVel, Rom had plenty of advice that was valuable and long-lasting.
- Amir Amidi also joined our panel as As the Managing Partner at Plug and Play, Travel & Hospitality Innovation Tech Center. Being in contact with various travel startups on the daily he definitely knew a thing or two about the industry and the importance of getting funding right.
- Co-founder of Bucket (acquired) and formerly at Facebook, Julia Lam also joined our panel who as always was a delight to have. She shared her funding and investment insights as well as her own experiences and lessons.
October 2016 - The Vault
Thank you for joining us on October 10th at The Vault in San Francisco - we had a great time, hope you did too! Here's a quick recap:
- Federico Ast, founder of Blockchain based Crowdjury and a member of Singularity University, talked about Blockchain technology and potential applications in travel space, especially as a powerful and incredibly efficient tool for dispute resolution.
- Travel Tech Con team has announced upcoming Travel Tech Hub - a platform that connects travel startups to industry opportunities and gives travel tech businesses direct access to startups. If you're a travel startup - signup to be notified when spots open up, and if you're a business interested in partnering with us - get in touch!
- Here are the slides from the meetup:
August 2016 - Startup Basecamp
Thanks for joining our August Meetup at Startup Basecamp! We had a lot of fun meeting new friends and catching up with everyone! Here's a recap:
Bonny Simi, President of JetBlue Technology Ventures, has talked about JetBlue Ventures funding program and invited the startups in our community to apply via the site or join Travel Tech Con 2017 to get an opportunity to pitch directly to JTV team and access mentorship opportunities. Another exciting opportunity that Bonny has announced was Navigator - four months program for travel startups powered by JTV and Cockpit Innovation Hub - our community is invited to apply via Navigator page (deadline is September 2, 2016)
The team from Department of Homeland Security Innovation Group has talked about their brand new Silicon Valley chapter, non dilutive funding available for travel startups, application and selection criteria, opportunities to work with the government on exciting new developments in the areas of bio-metrics, face recognition, traveler journey improvements, remote traveler interviews, etc via pilot programs at the Ports of Entry across US. The team has invited our community to check out more details on the process, funding and benefits on DHS site and apply with your pitch directly.
Travel Tech Con founders have talked about Travel Tech Con 2017 and upcoming opportunities for travel startups in our community. Pre-register your startup to get all the early benefits!
July 2016 - StartupHouse
At the meetup we introduced our plans for Travel Tech Con 2017 and 4 focus areas that we're working on. We also mentioned that we're digging for insights on how to make Travel Tech Con 2017 a blast - you're very welcome to contribute your thoughts (it's also a chance to win 2 free tickets to the conference)
On another note - we opened Call for Speakers - feel free to nominate a speaker and share the page with anyone who you think would be a great fit.
We also opened Call for Startups - share this opportunity with travel startups in your network!
At his meetup we had a special guest - Dillan Keene from Plug and Play Tech Center who introduced Travel and Hospitality Program and the opportunities available to Travel startups. To learn more - visit Plug and Play website and watch program introduction video.
We will be posting updates about next meetups on our Facebook Group page - stay connected!
May 2016 - The Laundry
April 2016 - WeWork Transbay
March 2016 - Sports Basement